Monday, December 8

Maslow's Hierachy of Playlist Needs


Today I reached self-actualization; at least as far as iPod playlists are concerned.

I listen to all 1150 of my songs in Album by Artist order. It starts with Ace of Base and ends with Yes (sorry ZZ Top, you haven't gotten onto my playlist... yet). And while it is not perfect, the artist that start with 'P' are. That's right, I have the perfect playlist of artists that begin with 'P'. Let's take a look, shall we?

The 'P' section of my playlist starts with:

-The Parselmouths: I just bought their album "Broken Hearted Slytehrins" on iTunes and have only listened to it once through. I am a newbie to Wizard Rock, but I love The Parselmouths. You have to listen to them to form your own opinion but I think they are a perfect mix of playful silliness and tongue-in-cheek seriousness and all about Harry Potter. After they female lead Parselmouths my playlist transitions to a taste of one of the most iconic and powerful female rockers:

-Pat Benatar: I only have "Hit Me with your Best Shot" and "Love is a Battlefield" but I can always get more, suggest some Benantar for me to buy! After a prominent woman comes an obscure man; opposites create balance:

-Paul Fidalgo: Bethany Frymark introduced Paul to me with his album "Paul is Making Me Nervous". Through Paul's songs you can get a sense of who he is; he writes from the gut. And I interrupt him to be a nerd. I love him not only for his great voice and witty jokes, but because he isn't afraid to make fun of himself. Paul Fidalgo starts my playlist's long affair with guys named Paul, and the next Paul is probably just about the most famous Paul in the modern world:

-Paul McCartney: I bought Paul's album "Memory Almost Full" about two minutes after I downloaded iTunes on my computer. He's opening song "Dance Tonight" is irresistible, I dare you not to like it (but if you don't like it, that's okay everybody has different taste in music). And after "Memory Almost Full" comes by personal favorite Paul of all time:

-Paul Simon- I love Paul for many reasons, but one of them is that some of his songs are sexually ambiguous so I don't feel awkward singing along because I am a woman and the song mentions taking comfort in whores, or cheating girlfriends. Also Paul usually sings in a key I can get my voice into (bad singers FTW). After Paul comes probably my favorite Pete:

-Pete Yorn: If you have never heard Pete Yorn's songs, stop reading this note, go to iTunes Store and buy Pete's "Music for the Morning After". If you have heard Pete, I hope you like him as much as I do, if you haven't why are you reading this sentence go buy! After Pete Yorn
comes a band I recommend to everyone:

-The Police: I don't care if you don't like "Message in a Bottle", I recommend their album "Every Breath You Take". Listening Pete Yorn and this Police album back to back is...perfect. Trust me. And last, but not least you can't have a playlist of 'P' artists without:

-The Proclaimers: their song, "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" is one of the most romantic songs I know. And thus I end my Perfect 'P' Playlist with a love song. If you got a chance to listen to this list you'd be in love too.

4 comments:

Better to know than not know... said...

Hey pampam,
Drifted here from JG's blog and saw your pee pee pee pah pah pah playlist. You gotta have the Pretenders in there, right?!

Time the Avenger is a good one to start with!

Keep on keepin' on!

Pam said...

Of course! The Pretenders! Thanks for the suggestion.

Now I am off to iTunes!

Neil said...

They aren't fond of "P"s but may I suggest DEVO? Ya know, "Whip It"?

They're my new favorite band for a few reasons. Their videos are hypnotic yet confusing, I've always liked intellectual absurdity, yet many of their songs are really catchy and have a pervasive retro sound that's still valid.

The whole concept of DEVO is that mankind has fully evolved to the point we are de-evolving. Into much worse and useless creatures.

I have a DVD of their videos. I'll show you some time.

Better to know than not know... said...

Okay, Neil before DEVO there was B.A.D. Big Audio Dynamite.

Check out BAD's "Medicine Show" on youtube. English wit, moral absurdity and a one minute machine gun solo--what is not to love?!